Thursday, January 10, 2013

BloggeRhythms 1/10/2013

Attorney General Eric Holder joined VP Biden in a meeting at the White House with gun control advocates, suggesting he’ll have a major role in the gun violence task force the incumbent has now established, according to Jordy Yager of The Hill on-line.
 
Holder’s participation has apparently also caused a 1995 video clip to resurface on MRCTV.org, the Media Research Center’s TV outlet, in which Holder, then the U.S. Attorney for the District of Columbia, stated “"What we need to do is change the way in which people think about guns, especially young people, and make it something that's not cool, that it's not acceptable, it's not hip to carry a gun anymore, in the way in which we’ve changed our attitudes about cigarettes. You know, when I was growing up, people smoked all the time. Both my parents did. But over time, we changed the way that people thought about smoking, so now we have people who cower outside of buildings and kind of smoke in private and don’t want to admit it.”
 
Now, I can certainly understand the AG’s attempts at reducing, or even entirely eliminating gun possession by the public. But since he’s the nation’s top law enforcement representative, I think his comments should be parsed more closely on issues like this because he bears huge responsibility in the matter. And although he may even be correct to some extent in his position on the subject, I think there’s far more to this that needs to be considered, in view of Holder’s current occupation.
 
Heading my list is an acknowledgement by gun control advocates, such as the AG, as to why most citizens own weapons in the first place. And regardless of what anyone says, thinks, or tries to prove otherwise, protection of person and property has to be the number reason by far. And I doubt anyone with an iota of intellect would ever believe that taking weapons away from honest, law-abiding folks will also disarm the crooks, Because it most certainly won't in my opinion.
 
So, here’s what I think the deal for gun control with the AG should be.
 
As the one most responsible for adherence to the law, as soon as he can prove beyond a shadow of doubt that there are no more armed robberies or thefts, no kidnappings, no murders, no carjacking's, hold-ups or any other kind of crimes wherein perps are armed in any way, then everyone ought willingly to surrender all of their lethal weapons. But until then, I think it makes more sense for people to be safe than sorry.
 
And I also think there should be one more provision regarding current gun control law regarding everyone.
 
Since the AG, VP, POTUS and many others in the administration believe guns should be taken out of the hands of the public, obviously they also believe sincerely that all those folks will still be safe unarmed. And if that’s truly the case, then any and all of those having body guards or Secret Service protection should readily and willingly give that deterrent up, whereas it’s obviously been concluded it’s an unnecessary expense.
 
So, reading back through my thoughts for today, I think we have the makings of a deal here. And I’ll happily sign on myself, just as soon as I’m absolutely, unequivocally sure that no one else who can possibly harm me is armed in any way.
 
That’s it for today folks.
 
Adios

No comments:

Post a Comment