Friday, May 11, 2012

BloggeRhythms 5/11/2012

As I've been mentioning for the past few weeks, there are no significant issues that the Democrats can mention while campaigning because all the things they've done, legislation-wise, to date have been disastrous mistakes.  And in that regard, it's gotten so bad for their ardent supporters in the media, such as the Washington Post, no less,  that they had to go all the way back to Mitt Romney's high school days to dig up a story about how he led some classmates to help cut an oddball's frilly locks.

According to writer Jason Horowitz, "John Lauber, a soft-spoken new student one year behind Romney at the prestigious Cranbrook School, was perpetually teased for his nonconformity and presumed homosexuality. Now he was walking around the all-boys school with bleached-blond hair that draped over one eye, and Romney wasn’t having it." So he came upon Lauber, tackled him and pinned him to the ground. "As Lauber, his eyes filling with tears, screamed for help, Romney repeatedly clipped his hair with a pair of scissors."

Now, as for myself, I grew up in Manhattan and frankly, attended some pretty prestigious schools myself. I also walked the streets, knew lots of other kids and also played lots of sports on my block, or in gyms and often in Central Park. And although I spent most of my time in pretty nice neighborhoods, kids are kids wherever and whoever they are. And compared to some of the fights, brawls and situations I was in where real hell broke loose over some pretty petty stuff, I'd say that simply clipping some guy's hair isn't worth a whole lot of discussion.

However, the reason I mention the Romney incident today is that when it allegedly took place he was probably sixteen or seventeen years old and obviously has matured quite a bit since then. But if what he did is truly an indication of how he thinks today, I'd much prefer someone who takes a stand and has principles, even if they're perceived as somewhat over the top, than another who panders, whines and weasels rather than stands up. And maybe that's why our nation's running, hiding and quitting all over the globe right now, because the other way takes some guts.

That's for today folks.

Adios

PS. Something didn't occur to me until a few minutes after I finished today's entry. But considering the incumbent's statement yesterday, maybe if he was in Romney's place at school, he'd have proposed marrying the other kid and left his hair alone.

MB

No comments:

Post a Comment